Sunday, February 6, 2011

What's in Season?

I knew I would get here sooner or later. Hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers. My wedding and all the flowers, stationary and timing of the wedding where all based around hydrangeas. When I saw Jemma starting to write this post I promptly took it over. This one was mine!  

Hydrangeas are such versatile flowers and you get a lot of bang for your buck because of the gorgeous clusters of tiny individual flowers on each head.

They are elegant and simply classic on their own, or mixed with other flowers like roses, peonies, lisianthus or pretty much any other flower you can think of and the hydrangea starts to have a cottage feel.





But that's not even the best part. The best part is the colours. Blues, pinks, purples and whites. If you pick them early you can have greens and if you get them late the colours become muted before turning brown. And you can control the colour of the bush by controlling the pH of the soil. Acidic soil produces bright blues flowers where alkaline soil give you pinks and purples.

Because of the amount of flowers you get per bush if you time it right  you can use flowers from your own yard. My parents planted extra bushes the year before my wedding so that we would have them in a years time. As things always go the flowers didn't come out in time, but Hydrangeas are easily purchased from market, florist or stolen from out side pubs like I do at Sutton Forest all the time.   




The shape and size of the flowers complement decorations like paper pom poms or lanterns and lends itself to a variety of different uses such as these flower balls and wreaths.

All in all the hydrangea gets a 10 out of 10.


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment